Thursday, February 12, 2009

Grind my wheat to make my bread

I decided that since we had made had bought some wheat that maybe I should learn to what to do with it. I bought a "Cooking with Food Storage Cookbook". Then I opened up a can of wheat and used my wheat grinder that I got for Christmas a couple years ago. I found a recipe that called for half wheat and half all purpose white flour. The loaves of bread took me 3 and 1/2 hours to make. They were really good except, they were a little doughy in the middle. I'll have to try again to get a more perfect loaf.





2 comments:

Heather said...

Hurray! Your bread looks good. Maybe just cook it longer. I like to use glass pans because it makes the crust nicer. Don't worry--with practice, it does get easier. I have had some not-so-successful attempts at bread, but the more I make it, the better I am at getting the kind of loaf I want. I also use Dough Enhancer. You can buy it at Macey's in the food storage section. It makes the bread a little more fluffy. . .or something like that. See you later!

Marianne said...

You go girl! Way to figure out how to bake bread! When you get it perfected, let me know!