Saturday, September 24, 2005

Cooking

My friend Marianne showed me how to make freezer meals and how to make them last in the freezer. I love this way of cooking because then I get two meals and only have cook once. I just take a meal like Lasagna and either double the recipe or put it into two smaller containers. I buy the alumunim pans at Warmart for 3 for .99 and I put half of the meal in it. Then I wrap it with plastic wrap, then wrap it with alumunim foil. Then I put it in the freezer with the name of the meal and directions for cooking on it. This saves me so much time and believe it or not money. As a working Mom this is really nice because there are times when you come home and you just don't want to cook, and you know you shouldn't go out. Plus with our small family it is hard to eat 9 by 13 pan of anything. And rarely do all the left over get eaten. But by freezing dinners you aren't eating leftovers. The food is as good as if you just fixed it that day.
Here are some of the meals that I freeze. If you want a recipe just let me know. If you have a good recipe that you know can be frozen I am always looking for more recipes.
*Lasagna
*Baked Ziti
*Manicotti
*Chili
*Calizones
*Chicken Soup
*Chicken Enchiladas
*Chicken Pot Pie
*Chicken King Ranch Casserole
*Beef Stroganoff

2 comments:

Emily said...

this sounds great! of course, it means i'd have to cook an original meal to begin with...... there's always a hitch! :o) i may get a recipe from you and try it. i guess if one was really "with it", you could prepare all the weeks meals on the weekend..... like that could ever happen here! lol.

N8ster said...

We just buy our lasagna already frozen. There is a company here in Austin that makes a fantastic vegetarian lasagna--Michealangelo's. The vegetable lasagna is actually better than the meat lasagna. I don't know if they sell that brand out where you guys are. We find that it is actually cheaper to just buy the frozen lasagna, than buy all of the ingredients.