Wednesday, July 01, 2009

So we had a bad day

On Monday, it was a typical day. The kids played with the cousins. Then Grandma and Grandpa decided to take the older kids camping. Jennifer, Emily and I and of course Devin, went out to eat for a sisters night out. We were having a good time. After dinner we back to Emily's house and broke out the ice cream sandwiches and decided to watch a movie. We all got settled in, and Devin was laying in my lap. I thought he was shivering a little so I put a blanket over him. About five mintues into the movie, Devin started shaking badly. He was having a seizure. It was the scariest thing I have seen. I was so scared. I was so glad that my two sisters were there. Emily took charge and called 911 and got shoes and purses for everyone. Jennifer's life saving skills as a life guard kicked in and I was just plain freaked out and was crying a lot. Devin is the first to get to ride in an ambulance. Of course I rode with him. We went to the hospital and after being there for five hours and several tests later they determined he had a seizure caused by a fever. By the time we left we was doing much better. He got an antibiotic and we we have been giving him tylenol and motrin. The next day he was back to his happy normal self. We have been watching him and giving him tylenol still. We took him back for a follow up and he is still good. We don't what caused the fever but we hope that we don't have another episode.

I am so grateful that he is ok. I am grateful for my dad who came and gave him a blessing, I am grateful for answered prayers.

4 comments:

Marianne said...

Wow, that's so scary. I am glad that he's okay. Too bad his first ride in an ambulance is when he's too little to remember! :) I'm glad he's okay. Something must be in the air for all these little ones to break into seizures today! :(

Katrina said...

I'm sorry you had to go through that. It's the scariest thing ever! I'm glad he's okay- amazing how resilient they are.

Heather said...

That is so scary! I don't handle emergencies like that either. I'm glad he is okay.

Theresa said...

yikes. Did they say whether he will be more likely to have seizures in the future or anything? or is this likely a one time episode. That is so scary and I'm glad you had your family to help you out in the moment of panic.