Our final day of Spring Break, we met Jennifer and her crew and we went canoeing on the Provo River.
 |
| The mouth of the river that joins Utah Lake. |
It was about 2 miles down there and 2 miles back. We were on our way back and we could see the dock. Garrett and I were in a canoe together. The current was stronger going back so the canoe was a little harder to control. We got stuck at the bank. Garrett was using his paddle to push against the bank and I was using my paddle to paddle backward to get us out. Then the next thing we know the canoe tips over and Garrett and I are in the frigid river. Garrett didn't go all the way under but I did. We were so cold. Garrett and I climbed up the bank, climbed through a fence and walked back to the car. Jennifer, Chema, and Jeremy got the canoe and got it back to the dock only about 30 yards away. (My leg didn't like being thrown into a river, climbing a hill, climbing through a fence) We are just glad the horse in the corral was a friendly one and didn't try to kick us or charge us. Once we got to the car I stripped Garrett down and wrapped him a sweat shirt and a coat. Then I got off my wet clothes and put on Jere's jacket and a wrapped a towel around my legs. We got home and we both took a hot shower! That is one way to end our spring break adventure.
I was proud of Garrett, he didn't panic or scream and he did just what we had talked about when we were talking about boat safety: he was wearing a life jacket, stayed calm, and got his way to shore quickly.
No comments:
Post a Comment