Thursday, April 09, 2009

What you do not want to see when you check your bank account




So, I was checking our bank accounts this morning, as I often do, and discovered something odd. Apparently some idiot in Australia used my credit card to rack up over $3,800 worth of spending yesterday. He spent about $50 on pizza, $500 on computer accessories, and $3,200 on a nice shiny new Apple computer. What a great way to start the day!

I immediately called the credit card company and had the card stopped. Then I called the bank to dispute the charges. The bank informed me that $600 worth of purchases had already been attempted since the time I stopped the card. They turned the charges over to the fraud department and will send us new cards. We should be alright.

The fun part was what I did next. One of the charges was for a Domino's pizza in Epping, Australia. Well, I emailed the police department in Epping and gave them all the information I had. Then I emailed Domino's Australia headquarters and asked them to look into it. I also emailed the computer accessory company and told them to cancel their order.

But, the most fulfilling thing of all was calling Apple. I spoke with the customer service rep on the phone, gave him the credit card number, and had him cancel the order. I didn't know you could even do that! As scary as it was seeing all that money disappear this morning, it feels good knowing that the jerk in Australia won't be getting a computer, and that maybe, just maybe, the police will come knocking on his door.

I seriously doubt I'll ever hear back from any of those people I emailed, but I'll let you know if I do.

3 comments:

doolittle said...

So How did this idiot get your information? That is scary stuff.

Theresa said...

yeah. ...how did the australia guy get your info. wow. Makes me feel like I need to check my balances a little more often.

you guys went geocaching? haha.

Kerri said...

You are awesome! That thief will be surprised when he doesn't make out with your stuff. See it pays to be a little obsessive with your bank accounts. Ryan teases me for checking everything everyday but this is why!