Thursday, April 16, 2009

Geodes

I thought I would post the pictures of the geodes I dug up on Monday. We spent about 4 hours digging in some holes out in the west desert. You have to find a layer of white clay and dig until you find something hard. I quickly found 3 big geodes, but my friends found a tons of medium and small ones. The small ones tend to be prettier, but the big ones were sure... big.









It's a two hour drive from my house (an hour and a half of that is on dirt road).
By the way, the Dugway Geode Beds can be found at N 39° 53.660 W 113° 08.242.

3 comments:

Robin B said...

Awesome! You did a great job. You forgot to mention that you gave geodes to your visiting nephews for them to take home with them and share with their classmates. They absolutely love the geodes.... They really are very very cool! (Emily, logged in as Robin)

Earl and Vickie said...

OK, so Mom said, she's coming, she wants to dig geodes. (I mean BESIDES, visiting with her son and his wife and kids........) Just has to figure out when.

Jeremy B said...

Cool. Bring a rock hammer, a shovel, and another other small digging tools. I did mention that those rocks on the blog were a result of 4 hours of digging right?