My final grandparent passed away on early Easter morning (April 5th). She was 88 years old. She hadn't been feeling well and so Kurt and Stephanie took her to the hospital. The did a CAT scan and discovered she had cancer that had spread throughout her body (lungs, liver, intestines, spleen, etc.). The doctor said she would have at most 6 months to live.
Two weeks later she was gone. She passed away peacefully in her sleep after her kidneys shut down. We held her funeral last Saturday and it was a nice service attended by a lot of family members. My dad shared memories at the funeral and here is what I submitted:
My memory of Grandma Brunner is really an overall impression of her over the years. For me, Grandma was truly a matriarch. She, with Grandpa, presided over the Brunner family in a very real sense. While Grandpa would let you know if you disappointed him and you needed to repent, Grandma was always there beside him showing a perfect example of love and service.
I didn't understand what that meant until a few years ago when I was asked to help take care of David for a few nights. Kurt had had surgery and so he wasn't able to lift much and so I got to help get David in and out of bed, and go to the bathroom. Knowing that Grandma did that every day for 38 years helped me know her better. I never heard her complain and I've never met a more saint-like person. I have no doubt that she is resting now in heaven and was greeted with a hero's welcome.
We held the internment this morning. It's an odd feeling to realize that all of your grandparents have passed away.


No comments:
Post a Comment