




Two weeks ago, when I was at an school meeting, my venture scout group decided to hike Mount Timpanogos. Mount Timp is 1,800 feet shorter than the highest peak in Utah at 11,750 feet. It was decided that we would leave at 2am. So this morning, 2 adults and I met up with 2 youth and headed on our way. It was completely dark and cold for the first 4 hours. I had brought plenty of equipment to stay warm though so the only problem I had was being completely out of shape. I guess the trail is an 18 mile hike from the bottom to the top and back to the bottom. They group had to stop quite a few times for me to catch my breath, but I didn't give up. We hiked for 6 hours before we got to the peak. I thought it would be easy going coming back down, but that was ten times worse. Going up, my thighs and legs hurt, but resting helped. Going down, my feet seemed like they were on fire -- resting didn't help becuase they hurt worse when I started again. I'm including here a picture of the peak from about 4 hours up the trail, some dangerous switchbacks right near the peak (notice the ground is only covered with loose, sharp rocks), some mountain sheep that were grazing near the top, a picture of me standing on the peak, and me on the couch once I got back home. There were many times I was tempted to say, "I'll just meet you back at the car. Go on without me." but I made the whole trip.
5 comments:
That's almost as bad as Mt. Charleston. Mt Charleston is about 25 miles round trip I think and about the same elevation, around 11,000 feet, and I KNOW the feeling. You think I was EVER in shape for those hikes with the youth? I always wondered why I was such an idiot and didn't pick nice FLAT hikes.
Where's the challenge in a nice flat hike?
Did you hike up the front or the back side? I didn't realize it was that long.
I went up the Timpanooeke trail up the back side of the mountain starting in American Fork Canyon.
That's great Jeremy! Matt and I took the kids hiking (in backpacks) to about that same height on monday. I don't know if you can be in shape for that! It was fun, but man I was feeling it yesterday!
Post a Comment