About two months ago our school heard about a statewide reading contest sponsored by the Utah Jazz basketball team. At my school last year we did the contest. It was a tremendous amount of work, but we won. A Jazz player came to our school to read a book and shoot some hoops. He couldn't actually read the book. He did bring ice cream for everyone. I kept telling people at my school this year that we didn't want to do the contest because it was so much work to run (basically you have to get the kids to read as much as humanly possible and keep track of every minute). Despite my opposition, the PTA decided to do the contest and basically put me in charge of it. Nice huh? Anyways, someone somewhere along the way had the great idea to bribe the kids by telling them that the top reader in each class would get to throw a pie and Mrs. Green or me. Well, today was the pie-throwing assembly.Twenty-four kids got the chance to pelt me. The PTA filled graham cracker crusts with whipped cream (which sounded like a good idea, but they filled them way too early and most of the whip cream liquified). Mrs. Green and I had equal numbers of pies thrown at us until about halfway through the upper grades started chanting, "Brunner! Brunner! Brunner!" It was all over for me. Here's the proof.
2 comments:
That picture is great. You are too nice! I bet it was worth reading to those kids to be able to throw those pies at you!
I'm just disappointed that I didn't get to throw a pie at you! There's always this summer.... How many books do I need to read by July in order to throw a pie at your head?
Post a Comment